Saturday, February 18, 2012

#McCann v Bennett : 153 Alleged Breaches Reduced To 25

Word from Tony Bennett, retrieved from The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann (18/02/12), an interesting read I think you will agree
A process server arrived this morning with the latest parcel from Carter-Ruck, this time containing another 400-odd pages and setting out the 25 ‘most serious’ alleged breaches of my undertakings (instead of the 153 I received on 1 December, along with five bundles and 2,000 pages). The new list of ’25 serious breaches’ is below.
The new committal bundle should have been served on me yesterday, but as I was out all day with my brother and his wife looking for care homes for our mother, I can’t blame them for being a day late.
I didn’t get a limousine with two people bringing me the parcel this time, just one bloke with an Audi.
Maybe there is a tariff for this sort of thing:
5 bundles – limousine and 2 blokes needed
1 large bundle – bloke with Merc or Audi needed
1 small bundle or letter – bloke with Ford Fiesta.
He was a nice bloke – recognised me from being on TV over the Michael Barrymore-death of Stuart Lubbock case. I ended up giving him a copy of my book to read, he said he’d bring it back to me.
We got talking about elderly relatives. He had had to place his father in a care home. He had carefully chosen the BUPA care home in Chelmsford. Sadly, three weeks and one day later, his father was dead. He had fallen out of bed in the middle of the night because there was no guard on the side of the bed. ‘We probably could have sued them’, he sighed, clearly still sad that so soon after placing him in what he thought was the best care home in the area, he was no more.
Mike Gunnill
My raising the subject before Mr Justice Tugendhat of Mike Gunnill’s actions in deliberately entrapping me into selling one book has prompted a swift reaction from Carter-Ruck and Mike Gunnill (still a member of this forum I believe). For on Wednesday 15 February he attended his local solcitors, Beckett Solictors in Rainham, Kent, to swear an Affidavit setting out the circumstances in which he first lied about being Michael Sangerete, and then lied again about neeeding a copy of ’60 Reasons’ for the purposes of ‘historical interest’.
The Affidavit itself is 7 pages long and consists of 26 paragraphs, but as either Carter-Ruck or Gunnill hmself or his solicitors advised him to include a photocopy of the whole of ’60 Reasons’ and photocopies of e-mail message and posts from this very forum, his Affidavit plus Exhibits ran to a hefty 61 pages.
In paragraphs 12-17 of his Affidavit, Gunnill explains why he schemed to try to get a booklet from me. Here is his account, in his own words – verbatim:
“Hav[ing] previously covered the story, I thought that the Sunday Express might be interested in reporting on it further, if it…turned out that the Defendant wasn’t complying with his undertakings. I should mention that while I am a photo journalist, I also write articles occasionally and/or pitch ideas for articles to newspapers. If a newspaper decides to publish an article which I’ve suggested, I will be paid a commission both for the original idea and if any photographs of mine are used to illustrate it.
“I spoke to my contacts at the Sunday Express, who confirmed that they would consider publishing another articles if I could obtain a copy of the ’60 Reasons’ boklet from the Defendant in order to prove that he was breaching the undertaking.
“I therefore emailed the Defendant in January 2010, using the pseudonym ‘Michael Sangerte’, requesting a copy of the ’60 Reasons’ booklet. Given the use of my photograph in the original Sunday Express article…I thought it extremely unlikely that the Defendant would agree to sell me the ’60 Reasons’ booklet if I wrote in my own name, hence my use of a pseudonym.
“As can be seen, the Defendant was initialily reluctant to sell me the ’60 Reasons’ boolket because of the undertaking he had given…However, when I pressed the Defendant further, he confirmed he had been able to locate a copy…
“I inforned by my contact at the Sunday Express that I had been able to obatin a copy of the ’60 Reasons’ booklet from the Defendant. My contact told me the newspaper wished to consdier a possible article at their 11am editorial conference, so they sent a courier round to my house to collect [the] package which I had received from the Defendant, together with my summary for a proposed article, first thing in the moning. I was curious to see if I could get the Defendant to admit publicly that he had been breaching his undetakings…”......read more

http://mccannexposure.wordpress.com/2012/02/19/mccanns-v-bennett-153-alleged-breaches-reduced-to-25/